Thursday, May 17, 2007

What is Kalaghoda??

Sharing an auto-rickshaw in Mumbai is a cordial thing that people indulge into for their monetary benefit. Its quite an easy thing, if you are determined to find a person having similar destination. Scorching May sun makes your search faster.

So I am already in an auto rickshaw now with a 24 something guy. It wasn’t surprising then that we were already busy chatting within 5 minutes. “Are you coming back from college?” he asked looking at my bag. “No I had gone to Kala Ghoda for my German class”,I replied.
“Kala Ghoda?”
I repeated affirmatively,”Kalaghoda”.
He looked puzzled and again said, “Kalaghoda?”,this time making it sound as if it was a B grade area.
I said,” Yes, why? VT….Kalaghoda.” For a guy staying in Mumbai this shouldn’t be a new thing,I thought to myself.
“Aah !! VT. I am also coming back from VT .What a coincidence”, he said.
I concluded 2 things.The guy had boarded the same train as me. That is how we met right outside the station. Second as you can see, he’s a dumb!
Then he asked which college I went to.When I answered ,he made an awful guess . “Is it an engineering college?”
“No, a commerce college.”
“I don’t know much about Mumbai. I have come from Pune”,he finally yielded (before he brings India Gate to Mumbai)
“I should’ve guessed it. So where do you stay?”
And I got all basic information (which was a LOT) out from him.
Since how long are you working?(as if important for me to know)
Two years. Since last 6 months I am working at XYZ.”(a big name in Software Industry).”I have a pickup from home.”
I couldn’t resist a laugh at this. His office was like 15 minutes walking and 5 minutes by vehicle. Still he emphasized on “pickup” as if it was da greatest benefit at his current job. Also I concluded he dint travel beyond his office, which he later himself admitted.
Today was an exceptional day when he’d to travel till VT.

“So do you like Mumbai?”(This was getting interesting!!)

And the expression his face had when he looked straight moving his head to imply negation, will not be forgotten by me for a while. It is something you don’t want to hear but at the same time get excited to hear every time from an immigrant. As if I know a secret about the city that makes me love it more. The secret is living here and calling it your OWN.

So we got down at our complex gate and divide the fare. Just before we part our ways towards respective homes, he asks, “ Can you do me a favor?”
I said, “Yeah.What is it?” He removes his cell from pocket. Now I am getting curious by every second.
“Can you help me find a house-maid?I don’t know anyone here!”
“Oh a house maid! Now this is the most difficult thing to promise. But I’ll try definitely.” After which we quickly exchanged our numbers.
“After all it’s been two years he’s lived here,” I mused to myself.” He’s not a complete dumb.”

9 comments:

Metallica bhakt! said...

“Oh a house maid!Now this is the most difficult thing to promise.But I’ll try definitely.”After which we quickly exchanged our numbers."
lovely bahana to call for a girl's number.. :P..

Abha said...

thats y i said,"not a complete dumb" you see...

Siddharth Joshi said...

interesting...

Anonymous said...

good fun while comin back home!!....

Abha said...

u bet!

manisha said...

hw cud u????giv him ur no?????????? stupid....dis non fiction???? bt gr88888888

Sharvari said...

I agree wid sweet angel... nice bahana!

Dhandal said...

"(This was getting interesting)" - Now we know how interesting it was rite? ;)
"He's not a complete dumb" - waana rethink?

Unknown said...

Dumb man , 2 years here n dosent know anyone!!!! obviously not a smart one becos he cant strike an intresting conversation ,but if none of the above is true( 2yrs & not knowing any one) & U fall to the lure of exchanging numbers ....... 'baap ye to yeeda ban ke peeda khanewala hai'